How to pick the right title for your webinar to maximize impact!
A first impression is often the last impression. Presenters often become so wrapped up in the technicalities of planning a webinar that they forget one basic rule. This rule of thumb applies just as much to your free web conference as it does to your choice of clothes. So why is it that when most people sit down to plan or conceptualize their webinars, the title is often the last thing that they consider?
Here is why the title is quite possibly one of the most important aspects of your webinar. When you advertise your webinar, remember that no one has actually attended it yet, so the only thing to pique their curiosity and interest is your title. No matter how informative and relevant you webinar is, if you cannot captivate your potential audience with the title then the rest ceases to be relevant. The title needs to be just as interesting if not more, than the content of your webinar; because when it comes to advertising your free web conference, the title does half the work. So don’t underestimate the importance of the title, give it the consideration it deserves and watch it work for you.
Choosing a title can be a daunting task when you consider the sheer importance of picking the perfect words that summarize your webinar.
- Be factually correct. Choose a title that accurately summarizes the topic that you will be covering. If you are speaking about tax savings for the Financial Year 2014 then your title needs to reflect this. For example, a tentative title would be “Tax Savings for the Financial Year 2014-2015”.
- Make the topic relevant. Frame your title so that it reflects the facts that you will be sharing and how they are relevant to your audience, so the same title above will be modified to “Save Big with Tax Savings for FY 2014”
I keep six honest serving-men
(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.
– Rudyard Kipling
- Remember your interrogatives. The key to writing good content and in this case creating the perfect title are the five W’s and one H. Use these words or keep them in mind when framing a title. This helps emphasize the content of your webinar and communicate to the reader what they can expect. For example, “How to Save Big with Tax Savings for FY 2014-2015”. This title now accurately encapsulates some if not all of the five W’s and one H making it easier for the reader to gauge if and how the webinar is relevant to them.
- Your title should also be catchy. People are constantly bombarded with information online, so it is easy for your webinar to get lost in the crowd. A catchy title will help capture someone’s interest at first glance, and then the relevant information will help translate that attention into attendance. Consequently, our sample headline now reads, “Don’t Tax Yourself – How to Save Big with Tax Savings for FY 2014-2015”.
- Get rid of the clutter. Now that you have a catchy and relevant title in place, pare it down to its bare essentials so that it is not too long or verbose. After all “Brevity is the soul of wit”! Keeping this in mind, the final title of your webinar on tax savings would be something like “Don’t Tax Yourself – How to Save Big on your Taxes (FY 2014-15)”.
Keeping these guidelines in mind will help you come up with the perfect title for a webinar or free web conference. Even though it might be last on your to-do list while you plan your event, don’t underestimate its role in increasing your audience. Shakespeare may have gotten this one wrong, there is plenty in a name!